Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office Lim Boon Heng has announced his retirement from politics on Apr 10, 2010.
Mr Lim, who is also Chairman of the People’s Action Party and Member of Parliament (MP) for Jurong Group Representation Constituency (GRC), made the announcement at a constituency event on Sunday.
Here is the puzzling news, on the Apr 10, 2011 The Sunday Times, Lim Boon Heng was quoted saying just a day earlier:
- “ I will go wherever it is necessary. At this moment I don’t see a great need to go to the Aljunied, because I think Aljunied is in good hands.”
- He did not rule out surprises on Nomination Day
When one pieces these two pieces of information together, it bags the questions:
- Does Lim Boon Heng not know that he was going to be dropped as a candidate?
- Was he not consulted or informed? Not even a slightest hint from the Party Exco where he is the Chairman which unlike other retiring minister MPs such as Lee Boon Yang and Yeo Cheow Tong who knew way in advance and had signalled to the press in various occasions?
- Is there any element of political coup in this case?