- Debts and money woes. Especially if one is involved in gambling or borrowing from Loan Sharks and will be driven to the edge due to the exorbitant interest rates. This problem exists even before the opening of the two Casinos, but the latter will likely to aggravate the situation. Losing one’s job and the ensuing self esteem and money problems is another common cause of suicides.
- Illness. Due to high cost of medical care, there is a saying that “it is better to die rather than long term sickness”. Often a sickness such as cancer, aids or stroke can easily wipe out the entire savings of the low income group. Thus, some choose to die instead of becoming a burden to the family.
- Family tension. Quite a few high profile cases involved one parent or both taking their families with them due to irreconcilable breakdown in marriages.
- Old age. Quite common among the aged. Loneliness, neglected by their children, sickness often drive the old folks to commit suicides.
- Relationship woe. Teenagers commit suicide due to school stress or relationship problems are common.
In 2010, there were 8 cases of suicide by drowning and 229 cases of suicide by jumping down from high rise buildings out of 353 cases of suicide in total. Foreigners accounted for 57 (out of 353) and 52 (out of 401) suicides in 2010 and 2009 respectively.
- Elderly suicides a worrying trend
- Singapore MRT Suicidal Video Caught on Tape (warning: scene can be very disturbing)
- Heard someone commited suicide via MRT in Singapore again…is it becoming a trend? What do you think?
- Yishun MRT Suicide – Was SMRT negligent? [Straight Times Forum]
- Admiralty MRT Suicide Video [Straight Times Forum]
- Man, 50, found dead on LRT track
- How many fence can we build?
- Woman hit by train at Woodlands MRT Station (2 Mar 07) [Straight Times Forum]
- Another Tragedy @ yishun MRT Station
- Expensive? Can you really put a price on human lives? [Straight Times Forum]
- Bedok Reservoir deaths reflect copycat behaviour: Balakrishnan
- Seven out of 10 people who committed suicide last year were men (Straits Times 2015)
Samples of reported Suicidal cases:
- Why man killed himself, two kids
- Mum and girl, 9, fall to their deaths in Bt Batok
- Tragedy at Bedok MRT station
- Man killed wife, then fell to his death (2011)
- Woman who fell on another was suicidal (2011)
- Woman, daughter believed to have fallen 16 floors (2012)
- Couple hugged and jumped to death at Chin Swee Road due to guy being in financial trouble (Feb 6)
Source: AsiaOne Jul 26,2010
Source: The Straits Times